26 April, 2016
There will be interruptions to the University’s network and some storage systems on Saturday 30 April 2016.
During the IT Services scheduled maintenance weekend, upgrades to the University’s firewall and some storage systems will be performed on Saturday 30 April 2016. There will be intermittent network outages between 8am – 10am (Firewall) and outages to some storage systems (student home drives – U:drives, O:\research folder and TRIM) between 8am – 8pm on Saturday 30 April.
For further information please refer to the IT Service portal which will be updated with the latest information.
17000 IT Service Desk operational hours are 8am – 6pm Monday to Friday.
21 April, 2016
Due to a software upgrade, Newcat+ will be unavailable for the following period:
Date: Friday 22nd April 2016
Time: between 7:00AM – 8:00AM
Services that will be unavailable during this period include:
- Library catalogue – NEWCAT+
- Loans and renewals
- Requests and bookings
- Access to UON databases and eresources, which includes ejournals and ebooks
- Requesting via BONUS+ and ArticleReach
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
18 April, 2016
Library hours for Monday 25 April 2016
- Auchmuty and Huxley Libraries are open 9am – 5pm
- Ourimbah Library is open 10am – 3pm
- Newcastle City and Sydney CBD Libraries will be closed
- AIC, CHIC & OIC close at 12 midnight Sunday, are open 8:00am – 12 midnight Monday 25th and will reopen Tuesday 26 April at 8am.
Please check the Library Website for opening times during the 2016 ANZAC Day holiday http://www.newcastle.edu.au/library
5 April, 2016
NewCat+ now has 3 choices to help you refine your search before you start.
- Search All (search both the library catalogue and the databases) – default search.
- Books (search the library catalogue)
- Journal Articles (search key library databases,).
Another new feature is the link to Inter Library Loans so you can request an item if the library doesn’t subscribe to the full text.
Try the Browse nearby call numbers feature to find similar items. Click on the item call number to view nearby items by call number. Newcat+ provides a pop-up display with:
- a graphical browse or
- list browse.
Use the arrow keys to navigate through the browse results.
22 March, 2016
When you use information or ideas that originally appeared in another work, you must acknowledge that source. Learn the basics of referencing with this short Referencing tutorial.
Yak Media is the student media channel at the University of Newcastle. You will find great videos like the one below that unravels some mysteries around Referencing and Peer reviewed journals.
For more information go to our website for Referencing.
To learn more about Peer Reviewed journals or follow this link to our InfoSkills Information literacy and academic integrity tutorial. Learn how to plan your research, use and evaluate information, and how to use information ethically and avoid plagiarism.
21 March, 2016
All libraries are closed Good Friday March 25, Easter Saturday March 26 and Easter Sunday March 27 March. Please check the Library hours for Monday 28 and Tuesday 29 March.
9 March, 2016
Watch this space…. coming to the Auchmuty Information Common.
- 3 group study rooms available 24 x7
- 50 quiet/silent study spaces
- Course readings room – easy access and 8 study spaces
- Additional computers