There’s a variety of things that you can do to Protect Yourself by following these STOP. THINK. CONNECT. tips:
· Keep a Clean Machine: Having the latest security software, web browser, and operating system are the best defences against viruses, malware, and other online threats. This goes for all PCs and smart devices you use, both at home and at work.
· When in doubt, throw it out: Links and attachments in emails, tweets, posts, and online advertising are often the way cybercriminals compromise your computer. If it looks suspicious, even if you know the source, it’s best to delete the email from your inbox and delete it again from your deleted items.
· Protect all devices that connect to the Internet: Along with computers; smart phones and other web-enabled devices also need protection from viruses and malware. Sophos is available for free for your Windows, Mac, and Android devices from here – Software for home use.
· Plug & scan: “USBs” and other external devices can be infected by viruses and malware. Use your Anti-Virus software on your University and home PC to scan them before use.
· Change your passphrases: Make all your passphrases long and strong. Combine capital and lowercase letters with numbers and symbols to create a secure passphrase. Change your passphrase every so often – when was the last time you changed yours?, or do you still use a password? It might be a good opportunity to change it now!
To coincide with this event, we’re also launching the revised Information Security Awareness training module which is now available in Discover.